Sermon: Stand for Your Faith Despite the Present Circumstances
Series: Seven Churches of the Book of Revelation
Bible Passage: Revelation 2:8-11
I. The believers of Smyrna went through persecution (2:9)
II. As a result of the persecution, they have become economically poor (2:9)
III. A section of the society slandered against the Christians which was causing this persecution (2:9)
- Increasing pain to the already suffering people (2:10)
- Siding with the tormentors (cf. Phil 1)
- Slander with baseless allegations in daily life?
- Are you a victim of slander? At home, work, etc.?
- Do you slander against others?
IV. The encouragement to the believers
- Jesus knows (empathetic knowing) of their situation
- They are not poor (2:9)
- Jesus’ comforting words: Do not be afraid (2:10)
V. Exhortation: be faithful/persevere till the end (2:10)
- Not to cave in
- Not to compromise
VI. Promise: They will get crown of life (2:11)
Look and listen to the One who is the “First” and the “Last,” the One “died” but “came back to life”