Sermon: On God’s Continuing Mission
Bible Passage: Luke 5:1-11
1.Peter Encounters the New Temple
2. Encounters that led to Sending
II. Three Foundations of Mission
Mission is God’s continuing plan and effort to ‘unite all things’ in Jesus Christ, restoring creation and at present bringing in His kingdom through His church empowered by the Holy Spirit for the flourishing of people everywhere.
1. Captivated by Glory: 2 Peter 1:16
2. Commissioned by Grace: Ephesians 2:8-10
3. Centered on Jesus: Acts 2:23-24, 1 Corinthians 2:2, 1 John 1:1
III. Three Implications and Applications
If God’s mission has to succeed then these three critical aspects will have to be accepted, embraced and implemented in our churches.
1. Everyone is a missionary
2. Everywhere is the place of God’s mission
3. Everyday we stay on mission
Like Isaiah and Peter we too have encountered God in Jesus Christ. Like them we are captivated by God, commissioned by grace and centered on Jesus as we join God’s mission of restoring all things and ushering His kingdom for the flourishing of all people by the power of the Holy Spirit. Everyone of us are called to this urgent task everyday and everywhere.
Will we say, ‘here we are; send us!’?