Sermon: Mind Your Language
Bible Passage: James 3:1-12
The Book of James is a Practical Christian book. He focuses on the practical aspects of Christian living – “True Christians in Action”.
Christian faith in Jesus Christ is proven by his / her works. On the other side, professing Christians see no results.
Just like other General Epistles, Book of James reflects specially the situations of the writer more than that of any recipient elsewhere.
I. Because it is offensive Vv.1-3, 5
1. Quick to listen but slow to speak 1:19
2. Reckless tongue is like a thrust of sword. Prov. 12:18.
3. Death and life are in the power of a tongue Prov. 18:21.
II. Because it defiles the whole body of a man V. 6. Cf. Mtt. 15:18-19.
1. Like a venom . Ps. 140:3
III. Because it is untameable Vv. 7-8 Cf. Gen. 1:26,28.
IV. Because it is deceitful Vv. 9-10.
1. The incongruity (not in harmony) of using our tongue : (Blessing God and Cursing men, who are created in His image)
2. How can I be delivered from “this” ?
1. Be quick to listen, slow to speak…by accepting and considering Others better than yourself – Jesus the Epitome.
2. Submit yourself to God by seeking His wisdom which comes from above.