Sermon: Set your Mind on Things Above
Bible Passage: Colossians 3:1-2
I. The Supremacy of Jesus
1. That, Jesus Christ, the son is the image of the invisible God, first born over all creation (1:15).
2. In him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities, dominions or principalities; all things have been created through him and for him (1:16).
3. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together (1:17).
4. He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the first born from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
5. God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him (1:19)
6. He reconciles to himself all things, things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross (1:20).
II. Believers are Credited with Change of Identity/Citizenship Based Purely on Christ’ Redemptive Work.
1. Vs 1a – Since then, you have been raised with Christ:
2. V3 you died, your life is hidden with Christ in God.
3. V4 Christ is our life, my life is Christ – he is my life!
a. Christ is my life – what can conquer Christ in me.
b. If we’re in Christ, we have died to sin, and we’re now alive in Christ (Romans 7, Galatians 2:20). We have also been raised with Christ.
c. We’ve been given new hearts in Christ that now desire Heaven
III. The change in our identity calls us to have a new kind of mindset or character change as a result of this amazing reality.
1. We cannot claim to be raised with Christ if our allegiance is still to anything/anyone else, including ourselves apart from him.
2. We can no more serve two masters at the same time. We cannot walk in two directions at the same time. We will either hate the one or love the other, or hold to one and despise the other (Mt. 6:24).
IV. Believers Should Have a Change/Shift Of Pursued
1. Vs 1b-2 – Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
a. Since then you have been raised with Christ set your minds on things above. Not on the philosophies, and ideologies of this world. But on the one who is seated at the right hand of the Father.
b. Don’t look for life on the earthly fame – set your affection on things above.
2. Set your hearts “Heart” in Hebrew it is an idea mission control center, it is where we make decisions. Where will our compass point, this morning? Is it our properties, children, or the things of God?
3. Set your affection (KJV). Affection is defined as tender attachment, a bent of the mind towards particular object. “Is my mind bent toward heaven or toward earth?” “To what is my mind most tenderly attached – things of heaven or things on earth?”
4. The false teachers were instructing the Colossians to concentrate on temporal fulfilments.
5. In contrast, Paul instructs them to concentrate on the eternal realities of heaven. Our citizenship in heaven should make us better people here on earth.
V. How do we really set our heart on things above?
1. Complete surrender of our will (Colossians – 1:1, 9).
2. Seeking the things above is not mysticism or mere “positive thinking” it is based on the truth.
Audio Bible Apps: – Bible.is, Tacarta etc.
Let the word of God “Set your heart on things above” influence your living in every way.