Sermon: Jesus The One Thing
Bible Passage: Mark 10:17-22
I. A man comes to the Lord Jesus Christ with an important question
1. He is rich, young and a ruler [ apparently in the synagogue ]
2. Comes running: shows interest, eagerness and strong desire
3. Kneels before Christ: shows humility and submission
4. His question: “What must I do to inherit eternal life?”
II. Christ responds with a question
1. It’s a perplexing question on the choice of words in addressing Christ
2. Like Christ’s other questions, it is meant to cut open the intent and desire of this man
3. Christ points the man to the commandments
III. The rich young ruler has kept the commandments since his youth
IV. The one thing that he lacks
1. He needs to sell everything he has and give it to the poor and follow Christ
2. What is the one thing that he lacks?
a. Total surrender? Absolute submission? The heart to follow Christ?
b. One way to understand this is: He lacks Christ!
3. Christ is eternal life!
4. The radical call of Christ is to shatter the idols of the heart and follow him as Lord!
With the help of the holy Spirit, shatter the idol of your heart and follow the one thing that you need: Christ Jesus the Lord as the supreme treasure of your heart.
1. “It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
– C.S. Lewis in The Weight of Glory, and Other Addresses
2. “The human heart is a perpetual idol factory”
– John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion I.11.8
3. “Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.”
– Augustine of Hippo, Confessions